POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Outline of a bicubic patch? : Re: Outline of a bicubic patch? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:19:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Outline of a bicubic patch?
From: The "D"
Date: 7 Dec 2002 23:07:23
Message: <3df2c57b@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:

> It is not possible. POV does not know about the "outline" of the object,
> only about ray intersections with it. There are a couple things you
> could do:
> The MegaPOV unofficial version had a post-process feature with a
> find_edges filter, you could use that to mark pixels on or near an edge.
> MegaPOV is pretty out of date though.
> Somewhere in the scene file groups on this server is a scene which used
> functions to do the same thing in POV 3.5.

> You could give the object a pure white texture with ambient 1 in the
> texture, and use a pure black background. Then render with antialiasing,
> and use an image editor to select the background and fill it with white.
> The antialiased outlines won't match the background color, so they will
> be left behind (if your fill command has a threshold, set it to 0).

Hmmm.... if I can't get away with a solid object I might try something like
that. But this method and the one below seem a bit more work than I want to
put in to what I'm doing at the moment. Though this particular one doesn't
seem to too bad. And if I want a coloured outline could I render the object
with color x and ambient 1 and do the same thing?

> You could then use the threshold command to make the outline pure black,
> and you have a black outline of the object on a white background. You
> could blur the image first to make the lines thicker, this may be
> necessary to get a solid line, and could also avoid the need for
> antialiasing.

Threshold command? Is this in povray or in some image editor? And would I
blur in povray or my image editor ?